Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Day 3

Task was to approach 40 couples in about 40 minutes (ish); completely ignore the guy, and ask for the time. I did 40 in an hour, I think I done more actually. But I discounted the approaches where the guy addressed me first + the girl disacknowledged me.

I thought this might be easy. But then moments before the actual approaches I felt a lot of approach anxiety. But after a few approaches I got confident and took it easy. I have never approached a girl with a guy before., so it was something new, I'm starting to realise now that each step will be a giant leap from now on. But I'm loving every minute of it.

After I got going.. I found this task to be easier than the first 2 because I was doing this after work, on the streets during the night. Women are obviously very cautions about guys asking for times and stuff [it's a tourist area and muggings do occur]. But when women were with guys they were more comfortable and more receptive.

Some of the guys reactions were priceless, there was 1 guy with 2 girls, I walked past them and later decided to approach, however if I was to approach directly I would get the guys attention first which is not what i want. So I walked all the way round and came in at an angle where I was facing the girls head on. I comepltely disregarded the guy and talked over him and asked the girls for the time. The dude was pissed!! OMG the look on his face! He later tried to be clever and give me the wrong time, the girls were having none of it and corrected him- which made him look like even more of a tool. I could have sarged them easily there, but I decided to continue the mission.

Most of the times the guys would give me the time - even though I asked the women. I think it was a protective thing, to get rid of the foreign guy ASAP any way they can.

There were 2 instances where the guy and girl both walked away from me and told me they dont have time. Both the times I saw the couple about 20 metres away and ask directly. Oh yeah did I tell you I had both my watch visabily displayed and my mobile phones handsfree clipped onto my shirt? I was asking for the time with both of these on all the time. Anyway I think when I approached my target directly from a distance it did scare the poo poo out of them. Learning experience.

This is what happend once. I approach the couple from 15 meters away - I walk directly into them.

Me: Do you know the time?
Girl: [she has her phone out] No sorry I don't.
Me: [turn to guy and ask him]
Guy: Sorry I don't
Me: OMG how can people NOT have the time on them, thats so retarded!
Guy: [put his arms around his girl, shielding me away.. about to walk off]
Me: [I re-engage] Are you scared of me or something? Are you worried I'm going to mug you?
Guy: [stutters...] No.... I.. Err....
Me: Oh is it that you just don't like talking to strangers, is that what it is?
Guy: What's you problem?
Girl: We're just minding our own business.
Me: Oh sorrrrrry [sarcastically said], I was just asking for the time, I didn't realise it was so much for you. You guys are so weird..
Me: [walking away... then look back and say..] Seriously you guys are very funny people, enjoy your evening.. and Merry Xmas!


Tiger

1 comment:

AJ said...

Haha harsh on the non responsive couple. Some people clearly not as demonically confident as you ;). I'm in london too and did the DC challenge some time last year. Bit of a poor end for me but definitely improved my confidence in saying random shit to people - oh and asking just about anyone for the time :)